Sunday 22 May 2011

Tiny brassica seedlings

The brassica seedlings are up but I have been mistreating them.

They are stressed from the delay in potting on that my laziness has created. Leaving them out int he garden hasn't really helped as there are also thirsty for water.

At least the good weather meant they are acclimatised but I had to quickly find space for them. I didn't want to use up all my allotment space on these slow growing plants but equally I can't bear to let them die and, in the winter, I am grateful for their harvest.  So I have tucked them into my home veg patch which is in shadow and also popped a few among my raised bed.

They like firm roots so make sure the soil around their roots is well tapped down.

The temporary plantings of shallot in peat pots were doing so well that I transferred them onto the plot where the other shallots already seem to be dividing themselves - exciting.

I finally planted up the free potato kit on the royal wedding day - maybe a little late but we will see if this second attempt at growing potatoes in containers will work. They are already putting on good top growth and I have earthed them up a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment