Sunday 22 May 2011

Challenges of planting out

10/5
The weather has continued to be amazingly warm and dry. Lovely for street parties and sunbathers but not so good for plants.

Emboldened by the warm weather and listening to the old farmers guide that if the soil feels warm when you sit on it (I skipped the bare bottom bit) I decided it was time to plant out my tiny tomato (Gardener's delight) and mystery squash seedlings. I say mystery squash because once again I didn't label properly. So I will have to wait to see if a striped courgette comes out or mixed gourds.

Almost 10 days later and they seem to be doing ok.  I perhaps should have incorporated more organic matter into the soil as they are hungry plants and I should have created the little walls that help retain water in times of drought but it is what it is.   I made do by scattering slow release chicken pellets (a bit stinky) around the place and hope for the best.

On reflection I think the majority are a striped courgette but  also planted some butternut squash. I also need to start off a spectacular pumpkin that we bought in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment