Tuesday 8 March 2011

A time of contrasts


Yesterday was the 8th March, Pancake Day, and there is blossom on the trees. But there has also been frost overnight. While it looks stunning on the recently emerged wrinkly rhubarb leaves it has softened the new chard leaves which are particularly susceptible as I moved them at the weekend.

It is important when planning, sowing and planting out seedlings not to let optimism carry you away. We had frosts mid May last year and that would easily knock vulnerable tomato seedlings back (or kill them).

Why was I down on the allotment at 8am on a work day (or any day)? I was clearing the kitchen of the last of our potato harvest which had sprouted prolifically. I didn't want to replant them as the varieties were all mixed up but didn't want them to go to waste. I may gave made a mistake by putting them on the compost heap as they may grow again (as my old discarded rhubarb crown has) in the compost. Any other ideas on what to do with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment