Tuesday 29 March 2011

Sources of great advice

Top tip: Never be afraid to ask. There is generally an expert out there to help.


On Tuesday I visited the RHS. Not Wisley, its gardens in Surrey, nor one of its major shows like Chelsea or Hampton court but the spring plant fair at its headquarters near Victoria. The RHS has 2 large halls there that are swamped on a regular basis by gardening fans.

I was hoping to find a bamboo expert as our new phyllostachis nigra (that's a black bamboo to you and me) is turning crispy. Now, a crispy bamboo might be something you'd like on a Chinese menu but is not a good thing in the garden. Especially not at £20 per plant and you have 6 all gradually crisping up. And yes, I did water them.

Later. But apparently I didn't water them enough. The thinking is that a combination of the stress of being repotted, wind and a very dry February and march have meant that I should have watered them LOADS. They recommended 10 litres per pot and then when that has drained to water them again and to do that weekly. No surprise that the bamboos I saw on someone's roof terrace will only be good for plant supports. Hopefully I have caught it in time.

I also struck gold on the veg front (something that was tougher to find in past years). Finally I found my banana shallots and also picked up 5 tubers of potato ratte which is also elongated but less knobbly and larger than pink fir. I have decided to try to grow horseradish in a pot (a bit of a thug apparently so need to contain it) and bought two replacement wild garlics for the back garden where the shady woodland should suit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment