Sunday 31 October 2010

Rhubarb, rhubard (and grapes)

Top tip: keep an eye on your rhubarb and divide if it's starting to look weedy


Rhubarb is a relatively short lived vegetable (though we use it as a fruit, it is classified as a vegetable) and can become woody and weedy.  This is exactly what has happened to the rhubarb that I inherited on my plot.  I tried feeding it with compost this spring but to no avail. so today I took advantage of a sunny day to dig up the crown and divide it into new plants. The outer parts are best for replanting as they are less woody and still vigorous.  When replanting though avoid planting in the same spot as it could bear diseases.  I have replanted my mini plants in the rough patch by the water butt and in the fruit cage.

I have also dug up and relocated the strawberry plants that have sent out runner and were at risk of disappearing under the pile of compost that Bernie has relocated and the pile of plant matter that is fast coming off the plot as I tidy.

One unexpected joy was that the grapes we dismissed as unfit even for wine making turned out to be lovely eaten off the vine there and then, warmed in the late summer sun.  Small and just the right type of tart, they would be lovely in a yogurt but I just gorged myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment