Tuesday 19 March 2013

You have more time than you think

It's amazing what you can do in 10 minutes. I took advantage of an earlier than usual start to go to allotment on a sunny but frosty morning before going to work. I only had 10 minutes but it was enough to start on weeding out the creeping buttercup, my arch nemesis on the plot.

I didn't get it all out yet but I've started something I was dreading as being laborious. And it only took 10 minutes. Admittedly I also uprooted some mint and overwintering rocket but they are so hardy they are almost like weeds on the plot. The next part will be trickier as that involves rhubarb and irises that are just getting into the swing of things so I don't want to upset them.

On a later day a miserable rainy day turned sunny unexpectedly and I managed to finish the job off to my boots' disadvantage. I never learn to wear appropriate clothing for gardening.  The potato trenches are now dug and the chitting potatoes have labels (a step forward) so now I need to do it pop them in the ground - only a few days after St Patrick's Day.

In the general scheme of things March is the time gardeners start to feel they are running to catch up and to do lists pile up. My advice is not to stress too much. If it's too cold for you to go out it's probably too cold for outdoor seeds to germinate. It might means things will be a little more frantic later when growing conditions are right but take comfort in the fact nature is quite forgiving. All it wants to do is grow and we just help it along.


No comments:

Post a Comment