Saturday 30 March 2013

Lest we forget

The yearly allotment meeting is coming up and we are being encouraged to grow more winter crops. In theory this is a good idea except that the plants take up a lot of space for a very long time and aren't that exciting in terms of flavour or money saving.  Honourable exceptions, in my opinion, are cavollo nero and psb. I say that however last year my cavollo nero failed and only 2 psb plants made it through the dreadful winter/ summer. And those two plants, so full of promise a few weeks ago, seem to have been pigeoned. Damn.
We even had a slight snow shower on Easter Saturday. The plug plants remain indoors....
Just so that I remember, the seeds that I sowed on the 18th March were:
Tomato - Gardener's delight, Black Cherry
Early psb
Lemon basil
Pea Carouby de maussanne (purple mangetout)
Cosmos mixed
Verbascum
26th March and the mangetout and the psb are starting to emerge. March declared joint 5th coldest March since records began. As is traditional, I sowed some of my chitted potatoes on the plot (Maris Peer, a first early variety) and Charlotte potatoes in a bag at home. I also sowed 3 types of chilli and some cutting flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment