Sunday 30 January 2011

Hi ho hi ho and we dig dig dig

Clearly last weekend I took my inspiration from the seven dwarfs and ventured down to the allotment. My back was braced against the infrequent exercise and the insidious cold with a back support and even then I could only manage two hours of digging.

This was enough to clear three areas of grass and weeds and to build my beautiful compost bin from Crocus. A self-gift, it slots easily together and looks ever so smart. I only wish I had bought the large one now.

Even though I already had a cabbage at home I still couldn't resist cutting another savoy cabbage (700g).

Luckily I found an interesting recipe in Sophie Grigson's book 'vegetables' for what is essentially cabbage pie. I had some ready rolled puff pastry in the freezer so my shape ended up more of a giant calzone. Apparently this is a Russian recipe that would have seen then through the cold winters while not costing much.

Shred 600g cabbage (she says 1.2kg but that created much too much - lunch is sorted for the rest of the week!). Pour over boiling water and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile fry up chopped onion then drain the cabbage and add it to the onion. Season with salt and a little sugar. Add 5 chopped eggs. At this stage also add chopped anchovy or bacon if you want an extra salty hit. Alternatively keep it veggie and use chopped feta or goats cheese. Pile into the middle of the pastry and fold over. Brush with milk and lay a few slices of Parma onto the pastry. Cook in an oven preheated to 220 degrees for 30 mins or until golden brown.

Should feed 4 people unless you are greedy - which we were.





No comments:

Post a Comment