Sunday 30 January 2011

A hard wind's going to blow

I roused myself from my sick bed to briefly inspect the allotment which I haven't seen for some time what with frosts and festivities.

It is on days like these that you appreciate brassicas as they were among the few plants still standing. The strawberry plants look healthy as do the pak choi and the Swiss chard, though battered, is surviving.

I harvested most of the remaining Brussels sprouts - 1.5kg of them. I also took home two of the healthiest looking Brussels tops as I'd heard they can be a delicious alternative to cabbage. Not that I needed them as I also cut a small cabbage head and the last few broccoli shoots.

All that is left are the (hopefully) purple sprouting broccoli that have been squatting on the plot all year with no results so fingers crossed for spring!

Looking forward to the coming growing season, I think I won't bother with brassicas again. They take too much space, take too long to mature, are dead cheap in shops and don't taste significantly better to me. Perhaps the odd broccoli plant that allows me to cut and come again but on the whole I'll use the space for other plants.

For example the amazing Jerusalem artichoke.

I harvested a whole 3.6kg of artichokes from one plant today! I'm not sure how to use them all but I'll give it a damn good go. I'm thinking gratin and soups.

Follow up: 2 delicious dishes later...

Brussel tops, Artichoke and Bacon salad (adapted from Great Allotment Cookbook):
4 small Jerusalem artichokes
2 tbsp walnut oil
8 slices of pancetta
40g walnuts (can also replace with pine nuts)
4-6 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp bramble/ redcurrant jelly
2 brussel tops (or 175g watercress salad/ mixed leaves)

Scrub the artichokes and slice them into 5mm slices. Toss witht eh walnut oil in a roasting tin and roast in a preheated oven, 200 C for 20 mins turning after 10 mins.

Meanwhile, grill the pancetta until crisp, then break it into bite size pieces. Dry-fry the walnuts/ pine nuts. Set aside. Heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry the garlic until lightly golden. Add the vinegar and remaining olive oil and bramble jelly/ redcurrant jelly and keep warm.

Layer the greens, bacon, walnuts/ pine nuts and bacon and drizzle with the sauce. YUM.

Jerusalem artichoke soup from the Great Allotment Cookbook:
1kg Jerusalem artichokes sliced
50g butter
1 onion
600ml stock
600ml milk
150ml single cream

Melt butter, add the onion and cook until soft (5 minutes). Add the artichokes and cook for 3 minutes. Season to taste, add the stock and milk and bring to the simmering point. Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.  Blend the soup in a food processor. Reheat gently without boiling then add the cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment