Monday 22 November 2010

Jerusalem artichokes

Top tip: Only lift the tubers that you need. They keep better in the ground than out.

I decided that I would dig up one of the Jerusalem plants to see how they did as the books say that they are ready for harvest from now. The frost had killed off the top growth but they still seemed sturdy. Unfortunately the first one yielded nothing. I had much more luck with the next one as you can see.

I stopped there and roasted them in their skins with a little olive oil and sea salt. Delicious and healthy. 

They are reknowned for unfortunate side effects so if anyone knows of a remedy that can counter this it will be very welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully when I dig mine up they will have been as productive in the ground as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are doing well but not as good as yours. That's a lot of them!
    Maximo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerusalem artichokes do terrible things to my insides. I was hoping someone would suggest a remedy! Whenever I'm served leek or cauliflower soup I have to check that it doesn't contain these guys...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, quotes the English planter John Goodyer on Jerusalem artichokes:
    "which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

    So you're not alone! Apparently bay leaves are good to counter flatulence and also boiling and changing the water gets rid of the inulin (or so they say).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete