Sunday 3 November 2013

Pumpkins and bakes


So we have seen the Bake off final and I have harvested
4 pumpkins, 3 acorn squash and yet more yellow patty pans.

I made Green tomato chutney (from the latest Jamie magazine) which was great.

On the other hand my stuffed squash was not 100% successful. In fact not even 50% successful. I preferred the filling (60g Bulgar wheat with fridge veg)

I also made a lovely carrot, apple and courgette cake from the amazing Cake Hunter blog. It wasn't too sweet as uses honey, fruit juice and dates to sweeten it. It also had no eggs so quite heavy. You would definitely need the butter icing recommended but I screwed that up by using low fat cream cheese which dissolved into a pool that could never achieve frosting consistency. I admit I had to buy it in the end for office presentation.

I enjoyed it so much and colleagues liked it so much that I decided to bake it again for my own personal version of bake off - band of bakers. Yet again, I had trouble with frosting when practising.

On the plot I need to dig over the ground for winter and prepare soil - weed/ manure. STILL NOT DONE despite perfect weather - will have to wait until end November

In the recent storms, which we were lucky enough to miss the worst of, we just lost 2 fence panels. They will add fuel to the great allotment bonfire I am planning.

Finally with one of the pumpkins I roasted slices with whole onions and blitzed them for soup and also made Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall's pumpkin, chili cornbread which was a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment