Monday 3 December 2012

Review of the year

Well this year is pretty much acknowledged to have been a dreadful year. Bad weather affected most growers and combined with a heavy work schedule and a slightly slap dash confidence in my abilities, 2012 was my annus vebetablus horribilis.

It wasn't all doom and gloom:
  • The fruit did well and raspberries and rhubarb were great
  • My (bought) butternut squash plant worked well and yielded 5.5 squash (even if I did then let them go a touch mouldy)
  • This was the first year I had success with Alliums and the yield was good as they were given an autumn head start
  • Mixed success with broad beans - I wonder if I should leave them in longer as I have a harvest around May but then I read about their season being later in summer in cooking magazines so wonder if they are a result of successional sowing rather than a second flush from autumn sown plants.  My experiment for next year I suspect.

On the whole though, my plot under-performed with usual favourites failing me:
  • Potato yields were tiny in comparison to previous years
  • Tomatoes hardly even had enough fruit and even they didn't turn red before being feasted on by slugs
  • Salad leaves never really got started (slugs again) - the only exception was rocket which is pretty much a weed
  • Strawberries are probably in need of a move to refresh themselves
  • Jerusalem artichokes, like potatoes, had a small harvest. Considering that they are near perennials I don't think moving them will help (and the place they are in is good as they don't over-shadow other plants) but I do think I need to water them more (both more often and just more water)
I did measure harvests (sort of) but the depressingly small amounts may have meant that I gave up in disgust this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment