Monday 24 September 2012

Harvest festival

This is cheating slightly as the apples that are the main ingredient in this recipe were not grown in my garden but they were given to me by a colleague and it's a great way of using cooking apples. It's even a little healthy I like to think as it has yoghurt in.
Natalia's Apple tray bake cake
1 cup yoghurt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
2 cooking apples, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix yoghurt with the bicarb of soda and then all the rest - the dough will look really sticky. Add the apples and add the cinnamon. should have more apples than dough. Pour into a brownie tin and cook for 160 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

The second set of potatoes did OK but I only harvested 3.3kg from the 8 or so seed potatoes. In comparison with last year's haul 2012 has not been a stellar year. I suppose I could have left them in longer but the slugs had already got started on themand the top growth was less than perky looking.

I also harvested 950g of rhubarb which I was going to make apple and rhubarb jam but unfortunately I burnt the jam by leaving it on the heat too long while I was focussing on sterilising the jars. Now I have sterile jars but no jam. Damn.

I have 4 more beetroot which I roasted and will make beetroot houmous with using a Nigella recipe (below but with sesame seeds substituted for cumin which is verboten in our house because it's horrid) though I am also partial to a Beetroot horseradish dip where you combine 250g of beetroot with 2 tbsp of horseradish and 100 ml of creme fraiche or yoghurt and blitz in the processor.
Ingredients
  • 400g Chickpeas in tin, drained.
  • 2-4 fresh Beetroot, peeled & boiled until soft.
  • 2-4 cloves Garlic, crushed or chopped
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 90ml Olive Oil
  • 1 teaspoon fine sesame seeds
  • 1/4 Cup Tahini (optional)

As a final fling the yellow courgettes have done me proud (ish).  I gathered 2.5kg of yellow courgettes including one that got out of control -1.7kg alone.  I'm not sure yet what to do with these monsters (along with a gifted marrow). Thoughts on a postcard please.  Maybe Nigella's courgette and raisin pasta...

The butternut squash look promising and I planted some Charlotte seed potatoes by the Jerusalem artichokes as an experiment. Even if there is no sign of growth I will leave tehm in for an early start next spring. Broad beans were sown in the potato area and deep rooted weeds dug up (mainly). A productive session.






4 comments:

  1. It seems like 160 degrees is not to hot, is that ferenheight, or celsius??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am talking about the Apple Tray Bake Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - that's celcius - sorry for not being more specific (and I got caught our the other way around when I was doing a Nigella Lawson 24 hour roast pork. The recipe said 225 degrees and I just assumed Celcius - spotted my mistake at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I will have to convert it to ferenheit...and get some apples. But I am excited to try theis recipe! Judy

    ReplyDelete