Wednesday 18 July 2012

The hungry gap comes late

The recent (ongoing) weather has been a disaster for the crops this year - yields are down YOY and the cupboard is bare. There is little hope of anything else coming off the plot in the near future - the beans have not survived brutal slug attack and the Brussel sprout/ curly green kale plug plants were devoured by snails in our garden.

The beetroots are looking ok though so will plant more of them (much to Tom's disgust) and I will try the supermarket salad trick again. Basically buy a tray of supermarket living salad, separate out into plantlets and replant in real soil with a decent spacing.  Surround by copper barbed wire to deter snails (I may be over-reacting here) and wait for your instant salad to grow.

With my brother-in-law over at the weekend I didn't get much allotment time but I did hear tales of prolific tomato and cucumber plants in greenhouses in Germany. No such luck here. Even friends who grew tomatoes under cover have reported that plants didn't really flower enough for a good crop.  I have a measly couple of chili peppers on the grafted pepper plant I bought last year from Hampton Court flower show. Clearly, I will have to find an alternative source for this year's chili jelly.

What I do have in abundance are weeds. They are knee high now and a source for shame when I viewed them on Sunday on a flying visit to pick 1.4kg of raspberries.  Luckily I have the weekend free so I will rip up the worst offenders to compost them and reveal the brave remaining plantlets still in the allotment.  Perhaps I will also have to resort to larger ready to pick (almost) plants to at least give me a reason to visit the plot.

I did harvest a handful of blueberries which was fun but perhaps not the best yield from 2 bushes. No sign of currants (red or black) or gooseberries though being overwhelmed by raspberries may have cramped their style - must move them this Autumn.  The good old Jerusalem artichokes seem to be ok though I will cut back the grapes to allow the torrential rains to get to the roots as it would be ironic if this year of all years they suffered from drought (as my container potatoes seemed to).

According to gardenorganic.co.uk these are things I could be sowing now:
Swiss charduntil mid August, or end of August undercover. To brighten up your winter plot, try Rainbow chard. Stems can be orange, yellow, red, bright pink or even white!
Peas         maincrop, mangetout and sugarsnap until end of July
Pak choi  until end August
Kohl rabi  until August. Try Azure Star, striking blue/purple ‘bulbs’ with white, mild flavoured  flesh
Calabreseuntil end July
Beetroot   early and maincrop; until July. Try 'Boltardy', good resistance to bolting, with fine   texture and flavour

So mainly leafy things and brassicas - roll on Autumn and the new crops on the block.


No comments:

Post a Comment