Monday 22 August 2011

Much ado about mildew

Sometimes things get on top of you and your best laid plans go awry.

I DID mean to mulch and water the courgettes well.

I DID think I planted them far apart enough.

Unfortunately, I obviously didn't. It would be obvious to anyone passing the plot too as they lay eyes on the mildewed leaves.

Mildew is a fungal infection and is caused by stress (much like getting spots when you've been partying too hard and neglecting your multi vits).

Stress can take the form of lack of nutrition, lack of water or lack of air. I seem to have contributed on all levels. If you see early signs of mildew, remove affected leaves (don't compost) to allow better airflow and water well at the roots (try to avoid getting water on the leaves in general to avoid scorch.).

At least the mildew has slowed the tidal wave of squash for the moment....





No comments:

Post a Comment