Thursday 14 July 2011

Spud-not-alike


I have a mystery. I planted Charlotte seed potatoes on the plot and have recently started harvesting them. That's not the mystery, hang on. I also got a 'free' patio potato planting set. I have previously had no luck with these at all (getting fewer potatoes back than I planted). This year however when I dug down deep enough i got a decent amount of salad sized potatoes. Which is how Charlotte potatoes are supposed to be. Now back to the mystery. This photo only shows the half of it. Why have my plot charlottes turned out to be such monsters?
More room and time to grow?
Richer soil?
Magic?

Who knows but it will be hard to make a dainty summer potato salad with them!

1st March 2012 Addendum: reading back over my posts I realised that I planted the patio Charlottes later than the plot ones (as late as 29 April) so that explains the smaller size. The plot Charlottes were planted 6 March so almost 2 months ahead of the patio plants. Harvesting everything at 14 July meant the potatoes on the plot had over 18 weeks to mature while the patio plants took 10 weeks to mature - that would explain the difference. It also suggests I can start harvesting earlier I guess or stagger planting - in an ideal world I would have two rows for each variety one planted in early march and one end April to spread the harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment