Thursday 16 June 2011

Trouble with tomatoes

Top tip: never give up on plants. It's in their interest to survive and they will try hard to recover.



Before going on holiday I took great trouble (well great-ish for a lazy person) to keep my tomato plants safe. I grouped them together in the shade and watered them thoroughly. A week of sunshine and holiday later and I was delighted to see they survived.

This next bit is where I went wrong. You are supposed to plant them in the evening to reduce stress and water evaporation. In a hurry to get them planted and growing I took them down to the allotment in the morning in a bit of a rush. I decided that evening would be perfect to plant them. Unfortunately life got in the way and I left those helpless plants in the sun unattended till the weekend. A VERY BAD THING. When I blithely turned up they were crispy and pretty dead. Do what I say not what I do.

Anyway in a despite attempt to rescue the situation I dunked them in water and hoped for the best. The rain helped and miraculously they have survived. They are now planted and hopefully no worse for their early setback.

Incidentally the sundried tomatoes from last year are amazing with the passing of time. Full of flavour and oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment