Saturday 26 February 2011

Gearing up for the year ahead

The days are starting to get longer but the cold weather isn't behind us yet. While last weekend brought sunny skies and temperatures of 8 degrees we are due for a cold snap again.

While I'm impatient to start sowing seeds I know that there is little point if I can't plant them out in March.

The remaining potatoes are sprouting away in the cupboard but I will just have to concentrate on cooking rather than growing them.

Ordinarily I would attempt potato dauphinoise but I have the added complication of starting a new health kick so for the next 12 weeks at least I intend to only use healthy recipes (at least once the apple custard cake is finished).

The red cabbages on the plot are starting to look a little sorry for themselves so I guess they will have to be next. Ordinarily I would combine them with bacon or chorizo as I find even the most uninspiring vegetable benefits from being combined with a salty pork product. This time I will have to find an alternative. Magazines often suggest chilli but I have a wimpy palate the can't cope with hot spice so I'll have to investigate some form of bubble and squeak or rosti.





No comments:

Post a Comment