Monday 26 July 2010

Getting the plot or winning the lottery

Top tip:
Be patient but do check in with the council regularly when on the waiting list to see how far up you are. Things to consider when offered a plot are size, access (paths or not), storage, existing structures that can be used, condition (weedy and what sort of weeds - brambles, couch grass and Japanese knotweed are awful while bindweed and annuals are manageable), electricity (lucky you!), water, facilities (our allotments are apparently the only ones in Lewisham with a flushing toilet - very useful) and soil type (acidity and structure - clay/ sandy/ loamy).   You can't get a perfect plot but you can be prepared. Through that preparation and research you can make it as perfect as possible.

02.03.10

The call came out of the blue and was as welcome as winning the lottery.

I had put my name on the Lewisham waiting list for an allotment almost 6 years ago just after having moved into our house. This had to be done by fax as there was no online system at the time – I had selected 3 top choices mainly based on the fact they were near my house and that their conversion rate for number of plots and number of people already on the waiting list seemed marginally better than other plots around Lewisham. I didn’t note at the time that there were no water facilities which would have been a problem especially with the amazing summer we have had. Thankfully by the time I moved up the list they had installed some water butts around the allotment connected to the mains.

I met with the allotment secretary who offered me the choice of two plots – one slightly smaller than the other but with the advantage of a water butt on the land and a wall bordering it while the larger plot needed more clearing as it had been left unworked for longer. Assured that the smaller plot would produce more than enough for a couple, I chose that one (but worried that I had made a mistake as both my husband and I are very greedy and I definitely work on the basis that bigger must be better).

Mine all mine....

It may not look like much but I love it.




And this is the plot after 25 days of digging.

Job done (well only just begun actually)

No comments:

Post a Comment